My ambition is to change the narrative of the FI community, by adding or strengthening the doing good component of the community. I want people in the community to see that there is much more than just getting rich and quitting. I want them to see that they are in a unique position to make a difference around them and that FI is a true superpower. And I want us to take action.
Impactivated is simply the place where I write. What I am talking about is beyond just this website. This needs to be a movement. Something driven by the community, owned by the community, and for the community.
This is why I suggest we use #FIforImpact to help build the movement.
#FIforImpact includes anyone using FI to contribute to a better world. It should be cross-platform, cross-community, cross-brands. It does not belong to me, Impactivated or anyone else. It should never be used for any financial profit. It will welcome the support from all communities and brands that believe in its goal. And it should be driven by the members of the community, as independently as possible and for the community, as a way to do more good together. We could consider it becoming an effective non-profit at some point if it makes sense. One that would inspire and empower people to do good with their resources. Maybe a bit like what 80,000 Hours and Giving What We Can are doing but aimed at the FI community.
In summary, I am hoping #FIforImpact to be a selfless initiative, aiming at making the FI community more altruistic, more generous, purposeful and fulfilled.
Please help me start this change of narrative by highlighting the positive actions taken by FI community members with the hashtag #FIforImpact. Over time it will build up, it will raise awareness and it will inspire more people to do more good. It is just a few of us today, but I believe we could someday be 100,000. And if we were to use our FI superpower and our FI mindset to do good effectively, imagine what incredible impact we could have!
A bit more about me and my motivation
So, as you probably know from the about page, me and my wife have reached financial independence a few months ago. Somehow we got the timing pretty well and our baby was born shortly after we reached FI. We’re really grateful to be in the position we’re in because we can take care of our baby, without the constraints of our jobs. It’s a truly unique and incredible position to be in.
I left my paid job about 8 months ago and I have started working on this project a few months ago. I intend this to be a fully non-commercial project, with all profits (if any) reinvested in reaching out to more people or donated to effective charities.
There are many reasons I am really interested in exploring the altruistic capacity of humanity:
- I believe it is hidden and sometimes labeled as “sacrifice” by our modern consumerist society.
- It gives me hope that life will get better, for myself, my loved ones and everyone else.
- It makes me excited about the future! For my children and everyone else that will follow. There is literally no limit to how much life, happiness and fulfillment there can be in the future. If we take care of each other, the potential for good life is mindblowing, especially if you dive into the very long term considerations.
- It gives me purpose and meaning and I believe it can help many other people in a similar way
What about personal finance and financial independence?
I realize that some of this motivation is possible thanks to my position as FI. But I believe (and I wish) I could have embraced this view and taken action in this direction more strongly before reaching FI, because this understanding and knowledge gives me a level of purpose and meaning I wish I had earlier. I recognize that strong personal finance are a strong enabler to a good and fulfilled life, so I will also be writing about that.
If you’re already committed to making the world a better place (i.e. via effective altruism), I would be more than happy to discuss how good personal finance can help unlock your potential to do more good.
As I believe this should be a movement, I am looking for people to join me and help inspire the community.
If that’s you, or if you think you know someone who would be interested, please contact me and let’s chat!
Check out the rest of the series!
- Part 1: Letter to the FI community: Imagine
- Part 2: The 4 elements of the FI superpower
- Part 3: Using the FI mindset to do good
- Part 4: We are already having a positive impact
- Part 5a: How the FI community can do more good, more effectively (a)
- Part 5b: How the FI community can do more good, more effectively (b)
- Part 6: #FIforImpact: Let’s go do good together!